- Experience in administrative procedures and processes including spreadsheet programs and the ability to modify complex spreadsheets, word processing, and database applications.
- Skill in managing discretion and maintaining confidentiality in all personnel and sensitive matters with tact and diplomacy.
- Demonstrated verbal and written communication and active listening skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to work effectively with diverse groups or constituencies.
- Excellent organizational skills to establish priorities and manage multiple activities simultaneously to meet unit, organizational and campus deadlines.
- Strong attention to detail and the ability to manage complex processes with efficiency and thoroughness.
- Excellent writing skills sufficient to produce clearly written reports and clear concise procedure documentation.
- Appropriate math skills with the knowledge to provide financial analysis.
- Excellent critical thinking and problem solving skills. Ability to use sound judgment in responding to issues and concerns.
- Demonstrated ability to analyze and research complex issues, synthesize data and make recommendations in support of decision making.
- Demonstrated ability to follow through and complete assignments independently.
- Ability to work cooperatively and productively within a team environment.
- Ability to analyze and interpret human resources policies and procedures.
- Ability to use standard computing tools, including Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point, Adobe Acrobat, email, online calendaring systems and the internet.
- Ability to learn campus financial systems reporting and querying tools.
Preferred Qualifications / Competencies
Knowledge of, or experience with human resources, financial, and database query systems in a large institutional setting.
Special Conditions of Employment
- Selected candidate will be required to pass a criminal history background check.
- Some travel between main campus and off-campus workplace is required.
- Workplace will be located at the Scotts Valley Enterprise Center.
Critical position requiring background check(s)? Yes
Background check(s) required Criminal History Review
If you selected "license, certificate or degree" above, specify the type here:
Does this position require an E-Verify check?
(Note: Certain positions funded by federal contracts or sub-contracts require the selected candidate to pass an E-Verify check which confirms the individual's eligibility to work in the U.S.) No, this position does not require an E-Verify Check.
Will the employee be required to participate in the DMV Pull Notice program? No
For More Information See:
Supplemental documents (in addition to application) applicants will be allowed to attach
- Cover Letter
- Optional Doc #1
- Optional Doc #2
- Optional Doc #3
Quicklink to Posting
(Add https:// to the front of this text to create a functioning web link) jobs.ucsc.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=70079
SEE LINK ABOVE TO APPLY⬆︎
Human Resources Liaison Support
- Provides ongoing support and training to department personnel and hiring managers on staff recruitment actions. Functions as a resource on recruitment and personnel issues.
- Participates in hiring committees. Reviews/Approves authorized staff recruitments using the Campus Recruitment Management System (RMS).
- Researches job descriptions. Will draft or revise staff job descriptions and provides guidance to supervisors and managers in developing job descriptions. Will assist in compiling comparative salary information for review and provides guidance on compensation programs, personnel policies and procedures.
- Prepares purchase orders in the campus Cruz Buy system for recruitment advertising. Researches and recommends advertising sites.
- Works with candidates and Campus Mail Services to initiate the Live Scan background check process. Tracks results and communicates clearances to hiring managers and/or hiring committee chairs.
- Reviews final recruitment paperwork and coordinates distribution to Staff HR/Talent Acquisition.
- Coordinates employee enrollment in DMV Pull Program.
- Assists in compiling information for classification review requests, employee stipends, merit actions or award programs. Utilizes campus financial and HR systems to create spreadsheets for the review of the CHES management team.
- In conjunction with the Supervisor, reviews student school year and summer positions. Works with managers to review annual wage increases, obtains senior manager approvals, and facilitates position revisions and wage increase actions.
- Works with outside temporary agency vendors and unit supervisors and managers to initiate temporary employee requests. Creates purchase orders within the campus Cruz Buy system and assists in requesting and reviewing candidate applications.
- Assists in maintaining the CHES Human Resources website (CHES Toolkit).
- Updates and maintains CHES Unit Organizational charts, tracks changes, and maintains historical charts and records.
30 Research and Analysis Support
- Provides support to the supervisor by collecting budgetary approvals and other approvals from senior management on all human resources actions. Follows up with managers on missing information and communicates approved actions to Staff HR and CHES units.
- Assists in gathering, researching, and analyzing data and in preparing reports and cost analysis in staff and student HR actions. Creates spreadsheets, reports and statistics based on information compiled from various specified sources and summarizes data to assist the CHES Human Resources Liaison.
- Conducts ad hoc research and analysis and completes special projects as assigned and helps develop resulting recommendations.
- Will draft, proofread, or format spreadsheets and other documents as assigned.
15 Policy Documentation, Development and Interpretation
- Will assist in documenting internal policies for the CHES unit. Assists in developing and updating internal policies, procedures or forms.
- Assesses and recommends changes to maintain compliance with federal and state requirements and University policies.
- Interprets and explains University policies and procedures to staff, supervisors, and management. Keeps updated and aware of general Human Resources policies and procedures, as well as collective bargaining contracts and provisions.
- Handles sensitive and confidential information regarding personnel, unit, and collective bargaining issues.
5 Other Duties as Assigned
- Prepares responses to routine correspondence and email or phone inquiries.
- Develops and maintains physical and electronic filing systems and logs.
- As requested, participates in divisional and/or campus committees, work groups, and planning groups.
- Will provide miscellaneous support as needed, and provides general back-up for the CHES Human Resources Liaison.
All UCSC employees must know and follow job safety procedures, attend required health and safety training, proactively promote safety at work, and promptly report actual and potential accidents and injuries.
SEE LINK ABOVE TO APPLY⬆︎